The Marginalized Women’s Skills Education Program presents a free Learning Center consisting of two class rooms, a IT library, Yoga/Dance Area, two dormitories, kitchen, eating area, toilet and shower blocks. The program provides an Basic Life and Work Skills Term; the aim of which is to bring the students personally and skills wise up to speed, ready to work on training for the Vocational Skills Term. This course for local women in need, allows them to access employment and achieve a sustainable income for them. This program has to date successfully educated 1125 young women who have graduated. With up to 7 million young women in need across Indonesia, we aim to give as many a helping hand in breaking the cycle of poverty as possible.
The total length of the course is 6 months, being divided in the first 3 months of Basic Work & Life Skills and the last 3 months the students take the Vocational Skills Training with our Educational Partners. All students must study under teacher supervision 3 nights per week and on Saturdays, which also includes sports, excursions and conference. All students are also given free accommodation, 3 meals per day, uniforms and study books, transport and more. Also they receive and expense allowance. (As most women are under great pressure to get out to work and send money home to their poor families. An expense allowance allows the student to focus on study and gaining skills education without this family pressure.)
Basic Work & Life Skills Course:
For the first 3 months of the 6 month course, the Bali Wise students focus on getting ready to take on the Vocational Skills Challenge
- Students are Educated in English Language: Workplace Expectations and Regulations; Basic Work Skills including Communication and Etiquette; Overview of the Tourism and Hospitality Industry and for Personal Development – Women’s Health; Family Planning; Personal Finance Management; Personal Development including Self Esteem and Motivation. (Most of our students are straight out of high school and are away from home for the first time.)
- Program delivery is through structured classes, workshops, guest speaker events, and excursions;
- Students can receive financial support of up to Rp. 700,000 per month, accommodation, 3 meals, uniforms, study books, transport.
- Educational Training hours: Monday–Friday 9am-5.30pm; Supervised Compulsory Night Study – every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 6.30 pm – 8.30 pm; Sports, Excursion, Conference – Saturday between 8:30am-4pm.
Vocational Skills Training
During the Vocational Skills Training Term , which is the last 3 months of the 6 months course, the students train with one of our Professional Education Partners. These Educational Partners are all 5 star hotels, or professional tour and travels corporations or spa corporations. All have a existing training department as part of their HR Departments. The students must choose a Vocational Skill and then get placed. Besides the 40 hours per week training with one of our Education Partners the students must do a minimum of 6 hours supervised study and on Saturdays are trained in Finding prospective employers, CV writing, Job Interviewing, and follow up.
- Vocational Skills available to train in at our Education Partners includes, Hotel Front Office, Spa, Chefs Assistant, Waitress, Housekeeping, Admin Tour and Travel.
- Being associated with these Professional Corporations helps immensely with Self- Motivation. seeing other women as managers, supervisors or even GMs. If she can do it, then so can I !!!
- Vocational students can apply for financial support of up to Rp. 900,000 per month, accommodation, and food;
- Graduates of Vocational Skills Training receive certificate and employment placement assistance;
- Training hours may vary is they are doing shifts, but usually from Monday – Friday 9am-5pm; Supervised Study Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 6.30pm – 8.30pm and Saturday 8:30am-4pm.